Monday, October 22, 2007

Parsonage Party

Last night we had the band members from the contemporary service and their families over for dinner. It was great to thank them for all of their work at getting the new service going. We made a ham and our guests brought an appetizer or dessert to share. We played a music lyric game and had a fire in the beautiful fall night. It was quite the successful night.
About five minutes before we had people arriving Brian stubbed his toe on a wall upstairs. It was pretty bad. Looking back, I don't think I've seen Brian in so much pain since I've met him. But being the loving wife I am, all I could do about the problem was laugh. I'm not sure why exactly I found it funny. Maybe it's because it's not like the wall has moved for the last 80 years its been in existence, or maybe it's because I'm usually the one who does such careless things, but for some reason I thought it was funny. At least I was showing sympathy through my laughs and trying to help him attend to his bloody-stump-of-a-foot. I really wasn't that cold hearted, just a little giggly.
While I was apologizing for laughing as I helped him, Brian likened this toe-stubbing to the time he broke his hip during baseball and Hunter laughed at him from SS. In fact he told me, "You're just like Hunter when I broke my hip." Geoff, if you're wondering, Brian may still harbor some resentment about that. I hope as his foot pain subsides so does his recollection of my less than stellar wife performance. Brian is doing much better today and hopefully we will have no more instances of moving walls or laughing unsympathetic wives.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beth and Bri-I HAD to laugh at your description of the incident even though the incident itself was painful-Beth makes it sound funny with her good writing! I SURE hope your toe is better, Bri-must have hurt a lot! I SO well remember the hip incident even though it was one of the very few I was not there for. Get well-both of you! Love, Mommy

Anonymous said...

I don't know what you are talking about. I didn't even know Brian ever broke his hip. Next time I check the blog, there will probably be some rumor that I yelled at Brian about a pitch he called against Shaker (It got hit for a homerun). RIDICULOUS!!!

Hunter