Monday, January 29, 2007

Can I use my own glass?

As part of Brian's job he visits "shut-ins". These are people who are members of St. Peter and for various reasons are not able to make it to church or worship. The three Pastors rotate visiting these members once a month. Brian always has great stories after his days of visits. I want to share one with you.

Brian was visiting a very elderly woman from St. Peter and as usual at the end of the visit he was going to give her communion. She asked him, "Pastor, if it is okay with you, can I use my own glass for communion?" Brian thought this was a great idea and was very excited because it seemed that this woman really got it, that communion was a personal thing between her and God and that using her own cup was very symbolic of this.

This elderly woman leaves for a minute and comes back with her own "cup". It turns out her cup was actually a souvenir shot glass! It had marks on it for one shot, double shot, and a "BIG" shot. The elderly lady said, "Pastor, isn't this a beautiful glass, it was a present from my niece?" Not quite what Brian was expecting, and not something they teach you how to deal with at the seminary. Brian punted, said a silent prayer to God asking forgive me if I'm doing anything wrong, and proceeded to pour the body and blood of Christ into the souvenir shot glass. It was early in the day so I think he stopped at one shot for her, though he might have needed a "BIG" shot himself!

No comments: