Sunday, October 3, 2010

Summer Wrap-Up

Here is my post celebrating all that is summer!

I think one of the most amazing accomplishments of this summer was that Kate officially learned to swim. Our little two-year old must have been a mermaid in another life, because she took to the water like she was born with gills. We went 2-3 times a week to the Tot Swim at the Grayslake pool and pretty soon the lifeguards started referring to her as Miss Adventurous. While all the other under 5 kids played in the shallow end, Kate spent her time mouth high in water, diving, paddling, and jumping in over her head. It was a little stressful supervising at the beginning of the summer, which is why I was so thrilled when she finally figured the whole swimming thing out.



The weather has turned a bit cooler, the leaves are starting to change, and I have emptied my car and diaper bag of all things summer, so I think I can begrudgingly say that my favorite season is over. I think its a hold over of emotions from teaching that are the main contributors to my dreading the end of summer, but I am not one that looks forward to the beauty of fall, simply because it means the glorious days of summer have passed. However, this year I can take solace in that my girls and I squeezed every last ounce out of the summer. And what a beautiful summer it was! We had tons of fun visiting the sprinkler parks, swimming in the pools, spending afternoons at the lakehouse, stopping at Tastee-Freeze, enjoying family parties, taking day trips to Lake Geneva, and partaking in almost daily walks.
I do in many ways enjoy the fall. The slower pace is comforting. There are plenty of projects to keep us busy, and this year I have lots of great memories of my two cuties, the warmth of the sun on our skin, water splashing around us, and the thoughts of the fun next year will bring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That post SCREAMS summer! I was watching the video and was into it for at least a minute when I suddenly realized that Kate was NOT wearing a swim vest! YEAH-what a swimmer!!!! She is amazing! I'll bet Meggie follows in her sister's footsteps! Adorable pics! Love, Gammie and Pop Pop