Sunday, December 20, 2009

Surprise!


Brian's birthday is January 6th and he is turning 30. Brian's birthday often doesn't get its due because it's just after Christmas. I was nervous that this year would be especially so with our new bundle of joy arriving, and I didn't want to let this special occasion slip by. So with my Mom and sister's help, I planned a little surprise party at our house. With just moving in, Christmas upcoming, and being very pregnant it was a little ambitious, but so worth it! For cover Brian thought we were having an open house holiday party. I asked him to take Kate out to dinner and Chuck E Cheese so I could have two year old free party prep time. When he returned with Kate all the guests had already arrived, and we successfully executed the surprise. I think it took him half an hour to process that the party was actually for him. We made italian subs, dips, and desserts, and for a little extra fun and surprise, I rented a craps, blackjack, and poker tables with dealers. (Thanks Jason Gottschalk for the idea.) When our guests arrived they got players cards for $500 in chips. At 8 the tables opened and the guests started gaming. At the end of the night the guests "cashed in" their chips for raffle tickets. My Mom put together five beautiful wine, coffee, chocolate, baking, and man themed prize baskets that we raffled off. We made Brian a spice cake and he got some wonderfully thoughtful presents, including a new driver from Kate and myself. It was great night, and what I hope was a memorable Birthday for my wonderful husband who I appreciate so much!

CLICK HERE for Video of Brian's Party!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHAT A GREAT PARTY!! Brian looks SHOCKED! You pulled it off, Beth, Cindy, and Katie!!! I am SO happy you could celebrate Brian! The tables looked wonderful and added SO much to the party! And those baskets---beautiful! Loved the joker card on the cake, too! Can't wait to see you in 5 days!!!! Love, Mommy

Amy said...

Wow - you ARE ambitious! I can not believe you did all of that being as pregnant as you are. You're an incredible wife!

Anonymous said...

Beth, it was a great party, I was skeptical, but it turned out Wonderful! Now you can have the baby, all is well, all set???
Love, Nana

Anonymous said...

This looks like it was a fantastic party!!!! What did you have to do to get an invite:

1) Know the B-day boy since Middle School.
2) Spend the majority of my teenage life with the B-day boy.
3) Be a groomsman in the B-day boys weeding.
4) Have the B-day boy marry you and your brother.

I hope that the above are considered when invitations for Brian's 50th are mailed. If it's half as "cool' as his 30th, it will be worth the wait!!!!

Hunter

Anonymous said...

Brian is sure worth celebrating...and you are amazing! Love, LW

Carlin Family said...

What an awesome celebration - the Carlin's wish they were there!!! There's nothing quite like celebrating with the Davies! I think being 30 is going to be great for both of you! Much love - Gretchen & Chris

Carlin Family said...

What an awesome celebration - the Carlin's wish they were there!!! There's nothing quite like celebrating with the Davies! I think being 30 is going to be great for both of you! Much love - Gretchen & Chris