Sunday, September 9, 2007

Special Delivery


My first week of school has passed and it was actually quite the tough week in some respects. The kids were great and very excited their teacher is pregnant (maybe because that means a sub for the second half of the year.) I felt a little bit like a spectacle at times when my kids from last year saw me, gasped, and pointed to my expanding belly. I also tried to start out conversations with the fact that I was pregnant to avoid any awkwardness for the other parties. "No I did not gain 20lbs over the summer just from being lazy and eating chocolate, this bulge is my new little girl." I'm kind of glad the initial notification of my pregnancy is done at school.
The bad part of school has been the heat. It was 90 degrees last week, we have no air conditioning and I teach on the second floor which is nothing new from last year. However, our school is building a 9th grade addition to the south side of the building. Therefore, all of the classroom windows facing the south side have been boarded up for the addition, so now I have no windows as well. The classrooms got as hot as 97 degrees. The first day was particularly rough because I actually tried to dress professionally. I don't know if it was the pregnancy hormones or the heat or both but when Brian, my Mom, my Dad, and the Davies all asked me on occasion how my first day went I started sobbing. Sorry everyone! The rest of the week I wore sundresses and felt much better, but sweat more than I thought possible. Next week should cool off and hopefully will be better. I've already decided that when my work environment becomes a little more professional I will start dressing a little more professional.
There were many more important great things this past week that certainly pulled me through. The ultrasound being number one. Then on Friday my cousin, Ginger, sent me pink Gerber daisies at work in honor of my little girl. That definitely brought a smile to my face and made me forget about any heat I may have been feeling. The picture above is myself, my growing belly housing our little girl, and the beautiful bouquet.
On Saturday Brian and I started to register for some baby gear. Boy, were we out of our league. We realized that we know barely anything about baby equipment and decided to regroup and bring our parents to help. Brian was great though. I gave him an A+ for behavior. He is usually good for the most part during our shopping trips, but then starts breaking down at the end. This time as we were nearing the end and he was starting to get a little tired of contemplating between shades of pink, he held up his four fingers and started saying in the middle of the store, "Fourth quarter, Fourth quarter." This little self pep talk is a common football routine for the fourth quarter of a game, and I found it funny he employed the same technique to finishing the job that he used in a grueling head bashing football game to deciding between baby bedding. I'm not sure which was actually more difficult for him to finish out. Really, he did great in his Dadly duties. Our little girl and I are certainly blessed!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What joy to see you and your baby! We will see you in a few days and can't wait! Kudos to Ginger for her thoughtfullness! We love you Beffie, Bri and our new little one! Linda and Wa

Nick said...

Shopping, especially for pink things, is grueling! Congratulations, Brian; I'll probably need some pointers when the time comes.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations ... It is so nice to see you looking so happy. Happy thoughts come your way ...
Uncle Ed

Anonymous said...

Bubbs,
Hysterical on giving the "4th quarter symbol". The only thing that could top that would be this: You deliberately trip and fall during your 5th hour at Baby's R Us. You are completely fine but you stay down on the ground as Beth, your parents, and employees gather around. You stay silent as they put you on a shopping cart and wheel you out of the store. The only motion you make as you are wheeled through the parking lot is the "Mike Utley" thumbs up a la Yovine against East Greenbush. The people standing in the parking lot go freaking nutz.