Monday, May 21, 2007

The Confirmation Crawl

This weekend was confirmation at St. Peter. There were about sixty-five 8th graders that took part. There were 5 services that the students could get confirmed at and Brian was busy preaching, helping, and taking many group pictures throughout the weekend. Bri was able to establish some great relationships with the kids and really enjoyed teaching them. On Saturday night and Sunday afternoon we were able to stop at about 7 parties which were all very nice but collectively pretty overwhelming. For me it is especially tricky because everyone knows Brian, and through Brian, me. However, I am generally not nearly as comfortable with names and faces as Brian. I don't have the daily or even monthly contact with members that Brian does because St. Peter is such a large church. Thus, I have developed a catch-all phrase for those tricky introductions where you are not certain if this is the first time you have met someone or a repeat. I'm pretty proud of it as it took many awkward meetings to get it down. "Good to see you." Not "good to see you again", not "good to meet you", just "good to see you". It takes a lot of discipline to stop just after the "see you" but I have found it very effective. I suggest its use should the awkward occasion arise. I was able to use my "good to see you" line a good deal this weekend. The confirmation parties were individually very nice. It was great to see people in their homes, with their family, and in their element. We'll see how we approach the confirmation party crawl next year, but for year one we didn't too bad.

No comments: